The Washington Pundit:
Stephen K. Bannon Indicted for Contempt of Congress
Stephen K. Bannon was indicted today by a federal grand jury on two counts of contempt of Congress stemming from his failure to comply with a subpoena issued by the House Select Committee
Former Trump advisor Steve Bannon indicted on 2 counts by a federal grand jury for refusing to comply with House Jan 6th Committee
Things to know:
– The counts are both criminal misdemeanor (2 U.S. Code § 192 – Refusal of witness to testify or produce papers)
– Charges are in the DC District, but Bannon should have the opportunity to contest responding the contempt charges in local US District Court; most likely the Southern District of Florida (SDFL)
– These types of Contempt of Congress charges are usually brought as civil cases if brought at all, not criminal. This represents an egregious escalation and further weaponization of the Dept. of Justice to target political opponents.
– The House Select Committee only has the power to subpoena information pertinent to drafting new legislation. The Jan 6th is not an Investigative Commission. That proposal was rejected by Republicans back in May.
– Bannon is exerting Executive Privilege. The privilege belongs to President Trump and is his alone to waive. It doesn’t matter that Bannon was a private citizen. The President has the right to seek counsel from individuals outside of government without the contents of those discussions having to be disclosed to the other branches of government. This is a Separation of Powers issue.
– The privilege does not transfer from Trump to Biden simply when Trump leaves office anymore than hiring somebody’s attorney as your own after the fact transfers their Attorney-Client Privilege to you.
Prediction: This will bounce around in a lower court for a year or more, and ultimately be dismissed. The SCOTUS might decide however to take up the case in order to clarify matters of Executive Privilege in the future.
@TheWashingtonPundit | Speak Truth To Power
Joe Lange at Telegram:
“Don’t forget one of the biggest reasons for Bannon’s indictment and possible others is to silence them.
They are targeting people who might give a contradicting narrative to their Jan 6 Trump coup narrative.
Evidence seems to drip out at the perfect time showing the FBI and democrats involved.
In the past a subpoena was enough to silence someone.
Ain’t gonna happen.
Everything has changed.
The democrats still use the old playbook where everyone was afraid of the media and a corrupt justice department.
We don’t fear that anymore.
The media has been neutered and Biden’s justice department can only send out threatening letters.
I do think it’s interesting that the democrats haven’t subpoenaed anyone in Trump’s shadow executive branch.
They have subpoenaed records but not the people.
Patel seems right, that does seem evidence of devolution.
I believe Trump is holding back the best evidence to blow up the Dems Jan6 narrative for the right moment.
Another boomerang incoming